Monday 15 April 2013

UTEE Jewel enamel tutorial - faux sea glass and more

I love the bright opaque colours that working with UTEE jewel enamel produces.
I like the swirls and mixes that you can get when you pour a mix of colours
BUT
I hadn't tried transparent colours and my one foray into pastels ended in disaster - the pink looked like body parts!!
So after being inspired by a picture in Pinterest of faux sea glass I thought I would do some experimenting.

I started with a melt pot of clear and added a tiny amount of Crafty Notions blue sapphire then gently stirred until it was all combined.
The colour was quite ethereal.
I have recently bought some Ranger texture treads so poured the melted UTEE onto a swirly part of the texture mat and then used a cutter to press down. I left it to set for about 3 or 4 minutes.
Once set but still warm I eased to excess off the cutter and gently prised the circle out of the mould.
The result was quite impressive
faux sea glass circe apporx 40mm diam.

The disc is very pale sea green and looks very much like sea glass. An extremely gentle heat polish brought out the gloss in the raised parts and emphasised the matte on the impressed parts. 

My next experiment was to re-melt the waste and make some more shapes.
faux sea glass shapes


as you can see the colour is darkening and becoming tinged with the amber that UTEE clear turns after quite a short time when heated.

I didn't want the yellow/amber tinge so thought about how could I melt just a small amount. The melt pot needs quite a bit so I improvised with disposable mini metal pie tins.
I added the clear powder to the pie tin and put it into the melt pot. It melted quite quickly and then I added a small amount of purple then poured onto a texture mat.
I had only made about 2 tablespoons of mix which was just enough for a disc.
I kept the waste for re-melting
I then did the same method for a red/coral colour and a copper colour. Once could I added  a little mica powder to accent the impressions
translucnet shapes approx 30mm diam

the result is subtle and very different from my usual pieces.
I had a small amount of the excess from each piece left and wondered how well it would re-melt.
I tried the lilac colour first and poured two of my tiny charm moulds which gave me an idea.
I used the remaining coral which had begun to go quite orange, then created a rich red followed by a deep blue-green and a bright yellow.

All colours were on a clear base so quite translucent and jewel like.
Once set I heat glossed them and added them to a charm bracelet


they look almost like sweeties