Thursday 4 April 2013

Pink Bead Soup

A couple of weeks ago I bought a mixed scoop of glass beads from a friend. The colour was lovely and after a play with them, sorting and mixing again....any jewellery maker will recognise that experience... eventually I began to think about how to use them.

I had made a mould for using with UTEE, small hearts which would be super as charms. So I mixed up a batch of glossy black and poured a set of black hearts which I then embellished with black glitter. There was enough left over to pour a heart pendant too.

I made a simple two by one chain for a charm bracelet and then went on a hunt for headpins with a fancy end for the extra large holes in some of the beads. A quick trip to Purple Butterfly Crafts in Hawarden fixed me up with some black vintage looking headpins. Then I began to create the bracelet...a real joy....the only problem was choosing from all the beads.



Once the bracelet was completed I turned my thoughts to a necklace.
I wanted to make a focal charm portion using three large twisted ovals but didn't want it to be too heavy so experimented with a partial charm section on wire...didn't like that effect at all...on beading thread...nope.....on chain......hmmmmm close but not quite what I was after. Eventually I settled on seed beads, a double row which would be good and strong to hold the charm portion.
A powerful magnetic clasp with a couple of pink mystic beads finished it off.



Finally a couple of pairs of earrings... black for a chic look and white glass hearts for a lighter daytime look.


Am pleased with this result...a bit of a departure for me.