Friday 12 April 2019

NEW PATTERN TRY OUT

I got a free pattern in a sewing magazine for a summer top so I thought I would give it a first try in a cheaper material to see how it sewed up.
The polycotton is a dusky green with a small polka dot and although slightly too heavy to drape well was a good price for a try out.
I don't think the front placket with a pleat is designed brilliantly and when I sew this again I will change it slightly - there is no need for interfacing with anything but the lightest material. There are too many layers to sew neatly and lie flat.
However the simple collar sews up well and the simple gathering on the shoulders looks good and the boas bending on the sleeves works well.
I like the dipped shirt hem but I think I will make the front a little longer next time.
All things considered I am happy with the top and will wear it - and considering it cost less than £10 not a bad buy.