Friday 1 August 2014

Strawberries and Cream - a Summer Project

Strawberries and Cream - a summer project


As part of a summer challenge for a Facebook jewellery making group I decided to create a fully loaded bracelet and charm pendant representing summer strawberries.
I have two lovely strawberry moulds and numerous leaf moulds which work well and I wanted to create hand made dipped beads in a clotted cream colour.
a home made mould

this is a Martha Stewart mould


To create the berry colour I used  Diamond Clear with two reds - Cosmic Shimmer's Berry Red and Crafty Notions Ruby Red




because it was quite time consuming to create a batch of charms I needed to keep turning down the heat to stop the mix going too orange
the small mould poured 

finished small berries
    I also poured the large strawberry



the finished strawberries
Next I created the leaves using Crafty Notions Peridot and Diamond Clear
Martha Stewart moulds
completed leaves


To make the beads I colour mixed a clotted cream colour using Diamond Clear with a small amount of Ranger's UTEE white and a sprinkle of Cosmic Shimmer's Light Gold


colour mix for beads

I played around with this until I got a slightly lighter colour than I needed - knowing it would darken with the heat


To make hand dipped beads you need a head or eye pin and then dip the finding in repeatedly, building up layers. You need to gently rotate the pin to make a round shape although the slightly imperfect ones have an organic feel. To make sure the colour is consistent I dipped each pin in turn with each layer building rather than making  a complete bead each time. 


just dipping the end of the eye pin into the mix



swirling gently to get a good shape


third dip


all lined up ready for the final dip

completed beads



the completed bracelet elements
the finished pendant elements

Finally I assembled the charm bracelet and created the charm pendant 

a close up of the bracelet





I think this has a real feel of those long summer days!