Monday 20 January 2014

Experimenting with translucent colour

Last summer I created a bright flower and leaf necklace and bracelet set in purple and green.
I liked the design so decided to use it as part of an experiment with inks in clear UTEE jewel enamel.


Usually when I use inks I make sure the colour is totally mixed in but for this design I used a cocktail stick and dipped small amounts of colour which I mixed by tilting the melt pot rather than actually stirring.


This produced areas of intense colour within the almost clear.

I used a Martha Stewart flower and leaf mould.

I embedded a head pin in the back of each mould to create a rolled down loop.

I didn't want the beads of the necklace to detract from the subtle colouring of the flowers and leaves so I chose faceted smoky quartz and antique copper findings which will darken over time.


The result is a very subtle range of colours which have an inner glow in sunlight.