Tuesday 15 January 2013

amber experiment

I subscribe to Making Jewellery magazine which had a project using UTEE ( jewel enamel) emulating amber. The project was in the very popular vintaj style which isn't really me BUT I am a huge amber fan and have lots of pieces so I decided to have a go at creating an amber style UTEE mix.
The combination of clear with a little orange, tiny bit of copper and a sprinkle of pearl gave this lovely result

I poured the mix into a cabochon shaped silcone mould so it has a domed effect. The mould fits this silver bezel perfectly


Then I poured some into a plain butterfly mould and added a headpin so that I will be able to create a bail 



 I had a small amount left so decided to add more pearl which created an almost tigers eye effect. I poured a donut pedant using a mini donut silicone mould which gives a great result. This will be good with a simple brown suede cord






As a final experiment I used some of a new jet black with a little bit of left over gold/green/pearl  from a previous project. The result looks a little like golden obsidian with an inner glow that is quite beautiful.

The great thing about this hobby is that all your left over pieces can be kept and re-melted for use in other projects or used as a base for embellishing with mica powder, gleam or gilding flakes