Friday 16 August 2013

Chain! Chain! Chain!

We have been having our bathroom and toilet re-done this past 2 weeks so I have been attached to the house!!  Having builders in with all that entails can be very stressful and even though our guys have been great I have missed my personal space.

So what better to offer escape than having to concentrate on chain maille.
I really enjoy wearing maille bracelets especially if they are made from aluminium jump rings which are so light that you can create quite chunky looking pieces that weigh almost nothing.
My first piece is a byzantine weave using gold and silver tone with a touch of bright purple. It is so cheerful and catches the sunshine so well. I love wearing this one, it has a summery feel and will make super holiday jewellery.









For the second one I made my own jump rings from a lovely green wire and a copper wire. I didn't have exactly the same gauge in copper as the green so I doubled up the rings which has made quite  feature.
This is inverted round weave and the rings are 5mm ID which is a good size to work with.



The final piece is again byzantine weave in a much smaller diameter jump ring in rich copper and was quite tricky to manipulate but has resulted in a very delicate bracelet which is a rich colour.


Just so you know the bathroom is now complete - well, I have to paint the new plasterwork next week once it is all dried out and the woodwork will need a coat of white. The new shower is amazing and after having no doors on the loo, the privacy is wonderful!!